By Beth J. Asch
Even supposing the military's want for enlisted team of workers has declined by means of nearly one-third because the finish of the chilly conflict, the armed prone are finsind it diffficult to fulfill their recruiting ambitions. between ongoing alterations within the civilian exertions industry is a robust call for for knowledgeable exertions, which has brought on progressively more prime quality adolescence to pursue post-secondary schooling and next civilian employment. due to this pageant for top of the range adolescence, the dept of protection will want to discover new ideas for attracting fascinating teens into the defense force.
Read Online or Download Attracting College-Bound Youth into the Military: Toward the Development of New Recruiting Policy Options PDF
Best military sciences books
After international conflict II using Aerial bombing grew to become a true danger. As expertise complex, so did the data to enhance the layout and improvement of guided missiles. This booklet examines the development of guided missiles within the US from the start of global battle II into the 1970's, together with numerous executive studies which are now declassified.
This publication deals a viewpoint decidedly diversified from that of the Bush management and its neoconservative supporters. because the United countries embraced the precise of nationwide self-determination in 1945, the historic odds were negative to nice powers that impose army occupations on smaller countries.
Written by way of 12 students, this richly illustrated quantity illuminates the medieval interval, reading over seven hundred years of ecu clash from the time of Charlemagne to the top of the center a long time (1500). a hundred illustrations. The medieval interval was once a novel epoch in army history-an age profoundly stimulated via martial beliefs, whose very constitution of society used to be equipped for battle, and whose leaders have been by way of necessity warriors.
- Historical Dictionary of the U.S. Army
- Evolving Maritime Balance of Power in the Asia-Pacific, The: Maritime Doctrines and Nuclear Weapons at Sea
- SdKfz 8
- Not Eating Enough: Overcoming Underconsumption of Military Operational Rations
- Nation-Building and Stability Operations: A Reference Handbook (Contemporary Military, Strategic, and Security Issues)
Extra resources for Attracting College-Bound Youth into the Military: Toward the Development of New Recruiting Policy Options
2. 3. 4. 5. 1. 2. 1. 1. 1. 2. 3. 4. 1. Issues to Consider When Weighing Options 34 Page xi Summary Since the end of the cold war, the number of enlisted entrants into the military has declined significantly, reflecting the need for a smaller force in the post-drawdown military. Across the Department of Defense (DoD), total accession requirements declined by 33 percent between 1989 and 1998. Despite this dramatic drop, the armed services are still finding it difficult to meet their enlisted recruiting goals.
7 percent in FY97. Over the same period, interest in the military among high quality males (age 1621) declined. 9 percent in FY85 said definitely or probably. 7 in FY97. 6 Recent recruiting difficulties together with the declining interest in military service among high quality youth suggest that the traditional ways that the military has responded to competition from the college market may be insufficient. 7 To develop policy options to attract college-bound youth into the military, some basic information is needed on the college market and the factors that are driving youth interest in college.
It is likely that some of these recruiting difficulties reflect relatively recent and possibly temporary changes in the enlisted recruiting environment. For example, the civilian labor market is currently experiencing an expansion. 7 percent in January 1998. Like DoD, many civilian employers are having trouble filling vacancies. Other changes include a recent increase in the accession goals that recruiters face, changes in the size of the youth population, changes in relative military pay, and changes in recruiting resources, including advertising budgets and GI Bill benefits.