By Susan E. Rice, Corinne Graff, Carlos Pascual
The us present UN Ambassador and its Ambassador to Mexico spearhead an research of the connections among poverty and fragile states, in addition to the results on American defense. Confronting Poverty is a well timed reminder that assuaging worldwide poverty and shoring up susceptible states aren't basically humanitarian and fiscal imperatives, yet key elements of a extra balanced and sustainable U.S. nationwide safety procedure. to cite Susan Rice s creation: "In at the present time s international, dangers to U.S. nationwide protection expand way past a handful of adverse states. premiere between them are transnational protection threats that, via definition, aren't restricted to anybody nation. They contain terrorism, guns proliferation, the worldwide monetary main issue, clash, infectious sickness, foreign crime and narcotics flows, weather swap, and environmental degradation. those transnational phenomena can threaten U.S. nationwide safety simply because they've got the aptitude to kill major numbers of american citizens even if quickly or over a longer interval of time." Rice and her colleagues then elucidate on those threats and the way to counter them. The overarching coverage suggestion rising from this e-book is the necessity to alleviate poverty and construct capability in vulnerable states which will holiday the vicious cycle of poverty, nation weak spot, and transnational threats. Confronting Poverty grows out of a venture on international poverty and U.S. nationwide safety that Susan Rice directed at Brookings from 2002 via January 2009, earlier than she was once appointed U.S. everlasting consultant to the United international locations. It builds at the findings of the Index of kingdom weak point within the constructing global, an analytic device that Rice released in a 2008 Brookings file coauthored with Stewart Patrick, now on the Council on international relatives.
Read Online or Download Confronting Poverty: Weak States and U.S. National Security PDF
Best political freedom books
Case stories of the organizational studying avtivities of 5 significant terrorist teams and a technique for ascertaining what and why they discovered.
Addressing values and politics within the Muslim international, this pioneering quantity examines attitudes in the direction of democracy and politics, self-expression and standard values, convergence and divergence of values among the elite and the publics of Islamic and eu international locations, political and monetary effects of non secular ideals, perceptions of outsiders and xenophobia, kinfolk and healthiness, all subject matters of pursuits to sociology, political technology, background, and heart japanese and Islamic experiences.
This quantity offers research of the kingdom of Iraq’s safety and of present Western coverage towards the rustic within the wake of the Gulf battle. It additionally examines the political, monetary, and defense effect of sanctions, Iraq’s destiny function as an oil exporter, the U. S. coverage of “dual containment” when it comes to Iraq, and techniques for facing Iraq sooner or later.
The lovely tale of Russia's slide again right into a dictatorship-and how the West is now paying the fee for permitting it to ensue. The ascension of Vladimir Putin-a former lieutenant colonel of the KGB-to the presidency of Russia in 1999 used to be a powerful sign that the rustic used to be headed clear of democracy.
- The Europeanization of National Foreign Policy: Continuity and Change in European Crisis Management
- Unmanned: Drone Warfare and Global Security
- Shattered, Cracked, or Firmly Intact?: Women and the Executive Glass Ceiling Worldwide
- Coercion, Cooperation, and Ethics in International Relations
- Germany, Poland and the Common Security and Defence Policy: Converging Security and Defence Perspectives in an Enlarged EU (New Perspectives in German Political Studies)
- Democracy and Totalitarianism
Extra resources for Confronting Poverty: Weak States and U.S. National Security
63. WHO, “Nipah Virus,” Fact Sheet 262 (September 2001). 64. S. html). htm#history). 65. Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), “Summary for Policymakers,” in Third Assessment Report, Working Group II: Impacts, Adaptation, and Vulnerability (Milan, December 2003), p. 12. 66. IPCC, “The Physical Science Basis,” in Fourth Assessment Report, Working Group I: Climate Change 2007 (Valencia, Spain, November 2007), p. 15. indd 21 12/18/09 10:34 AM 22 susan e. rice 67. com/article/domesticNews/idINSP 13877220080505).
39. Not all energy-producing weak states have an annual per capita income above $905. Among the poorest oil-producing states are Nigeria, Sudan, and Uzbekistan. 40. Pakistan’s score does not reflect the country’s increased instability since 2007. S Cole, docked in Aden Harbor, Yemen. Operated by two Saudi suicide terrorists, the small boat was packed with about 600 pounds of powerful explosives. S. Navy destroyer. The explosion killed seventeen American sailors and injured thirty-nine others. It was powerful enough to rattle buildings surrounding the port.
7. World Bank and IMF, Global Monitoring Report 2009. 8. , p. 2. 9. , p. 14. indd 39 12/18/09 3:13 PM 40 susan e. rice 10. html). 11. html). 12. ” 13. World Bank and IMF, Global Monitoring Report 2009. 14. ” 15. World Bank, “The Economic Impacts of Poor Sanitation,” press release, March 20, 2008. 16. int/water_sanitation_health/publications/facts2004/en/). 17. See Chen and Ravallion, “The Developing World Is Poorer Than We Thought,” table 8. 18. html). 19. htm#poverty). 20. World Bank, World Development Indicators 2007 (Washington, 2007).