By Frederick G. Kilgour
Frederick Kilgour bargains a desirable historical past of the publication in all its kinds, a five-thousand yr tale that starts with clay capsules and concludes with the rising digital booklet. Kilgour, founder and primary president of the net desktop Library middle and a former librarian at Harvard and Yale, breaks new floor in emphasizing the story's technological size. Drawing upon a life of wisdom and a historian's interest, Kilgour highlights the inventors, engineers, and marketers who created the equipment of creation and dissemination which enabled the publication to maintain speed with the escalating want for info.
Read or Download The Evolution of the Book PDF
Best media books
Solely devoted to cellular television, this e-book offers a close perception to cellular multimedia characterised effective compression recommendations, protocols formalized through 3GPP or 3GPP2, services of broadcast, and cellular networks for supplying multimedia content material. community specifications akin to spectrum; chipsets, software program and handsets which allow multimedia providers; supply structures and content material safety applied sciences which offer profit insurance are lined intimately.
"One individual, pcs, six months … twenty-two mins" half "art-of," half "how-to," CGI Filmmaking: The production of Ghost Warrior explores how one artist created a feature-quality, 22-minute lively movie in six months of construction. the new developments in strong, but most economical courses for 3D animation and compositing make such an venture attainable.
- Foundation Actionscript 3.0 Animation: Making Things Move!
- Social Media Balanced Scorecard: Erfolgreiche Social Media-Strategien in der Praxis (German Edition)
- [ Media Witnessing: Testimony in the Age of Mass Communication By ( Author ) Nov-2008 Paperback
- Feedback: Television against Democracy
- No News Is Bad News! The Role of the Media and News Framing in Embedding Europe - 20
Additional resources for The Evolution of the Book
2. The Ramesseum Dramatic Papyrus. (Courtesy Princeton University Press) 32 The Evolution of the Book are papyri of any other title, is the principal source for major Egyptian religious beliefs, in which the afterlife always played the prime role; the book was the guide for the journey through afterlife and prescribes magic spells for protection. , are housed in Egyptian, European, and American institutions, with the British Museum possessing the largest collection. Translations of the Book of the Dead have been amazingly popular.
Perhaps the earliest known writing on papyrus is on many fragments of papyri that are dated in the reign of Djedkare Izozi (c. ), the eighth king of the Fifth Dynasty, but that are concerned with the property and the administration of the burial of Neferirkari Kakai, the third king of the Fifth Dynasty. Among the topics treated were temple ceremonies, temple equipment and its periodic inspection, priestly duties, monthly payments to the head priests and servants of the sun temple, additional types of expenditure, and incomes.
The sparrows bring disaster upon the cultivator. The remainder that is on the threshing floor is at an end, it falls to the thieves. The value of the hired cattle is lost. And now the scribe lands on the river bank and is about to register the harvest tax. The janitors carry staves and the Nubians rods of palm, and they say "Hand over the corn" though there is none. The cultivator is beaten all over, he is bound and thrown into the well, soused and dipped head downwards. His wife has been bound in his presence, his children are in fetters.